Saturday, October 07, 2006

A6 - Thoughts of the Donor - Richard

When you think of the donor what are your thoughts? Do you find him threatening in any manner? How would you react if your child [children] indicates they want to find the donor?

I'd be lying if I said that I'm pleased that he was ever needed to help create my family, but at the same time I recognise what an incredible gift he has given us and, above all I feel like I will never be able to thank him enough for what he has given us. I have the fears that I suspect most men in my position have but I also know, deep down, that those fears are unfounded.

One thing that I find myself wondering a great deal is how old our donor is. I know that in reality it makes no difference. It will be twenty years before we are in a position that we can even try to find him. But at the same time I'm intrigued to know whether or not he and I are of the same generation or whether he is considerably younger than I am and we share little in the way of common experiences.

I have almost no doubt that my children will want to find him and the thought does not particularly worry me. I have always figured that if I live under the assumption that they will want to find him then, if they do not, it will have much less of an impact on me. If I were them, I would want to find him and find out the kind of person that he is.

Above all I hope that one day he is a man that I can call a friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home