Friday, October 20, 2006

A7 - Told Your Family?

The question is actually have you told your family that your kids will be or are DI and how did you tell them? For that matter how open have you been in telling family, friends, or even co-workers?

We told our parents during the Christmas holiday, about two months before the birth. My parents, we just simply told them that we used a donor. My father-in-law is almost completely deaf, so we printed out a sort of DI fact sheet, and handed it to him to read as we told my mother-in-law, so he would have an idea of what was being discussed. We thought it was important to explain the situation before the birth.

My wife’s closest sister was also told before the birth. As for other siblings, telling them coincided with the publication of the June 2006 USA Today article in which I was quoted. We had to tell at some point, and the article was a good ice breaker. Everyone we have told has been supportive.

We have told no one else, other than family that we used DI. I know that it’s nothing to hide, or nothing to be ashamed of, but we have decided to keep it private at this point.

2 Comments:

Blogger MiraclesDHappen said...

everyone i know knows....I have a big mouth...DH is fine with it...

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Magz said...

I think it's so wonderful that you told your family. It's no one else's business, but there should be people around who are supportive and positive about the topic. Honesty is always the best way to go for everyone, especially the kids.

Congratulations on your family btw. I also used a donor to have my daughter. It was the best gift ever :)

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home