Monday, July 03, 2006

A2 - Choosing a Donor - Bob

Q2: How did you (or do you) and your partner / spouse go about picking a donor? What are the most important characteristics to you and why? Are there any donors you would not choose?

The short answer is: We chose a donor who matched physical characteristics with either me or my wife. The most important factor was that he be of northern European descent. We ruled out anyone who listed history of family mental illness, or who listed family members who, other than accident, died at an early age.

I’m 6’ 1” (185 cm) tall, so I found it important that the donor range between 6’ 0” and 6’ 2”. We chose a donor who was about 165 lbs. (75 kg), the weight I was when I was the age of most donors.

For traits like hair and eye color, it was necessary that he matched either my wife or me.

My wife has environmental allergies. We ruled out one otherwise acceptable donor because he had allergies. No need to saddle the child with an almost guarantee of teary eyes for the rest of their life. We also wanted someone who had begun or completed college.

After the filtering, we ended up with three profiles. I had a slight preference for two, and my wife had a slight preference for two. We chose the one for which we both had a slight preference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home